Framework for Action: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Kroger strives to reflect the communities we serve and foster a culture that empowers everyone to be their true self, inspires collaboration, and feeds the human spirit. Through our Framework for Action, we are committed to standing together and mobilizing our people, passion, scale and resources to transform our culture and our communities.
Create More Inclusive Culture
- Create a DE&I Advisory Council to advance our long-term DE&I commitments, reporting to senior leadership.
- Provide Unconscious Bias training to every leader in 2020 and DE&I training for every associate by May 2021.
Develop Diverse Talent
- Improve diverse talent recruiting by partnering with Historically Black Colleges & Universities, Hispanic Association Colleges & Universities, and community colleges.
- Establish two-way mentorship and advocacy program between highpotential diverse talent and senior leaders.
Advance Diverse Partnerships
- Increase spend with diverse suppliers from $3.4 billion to $10 billion by 2030.
- Ensure our media partners align with Our Values and that we reach diverse customers through our marketing spend, partners and strategy.
Advance Equitable Communities
- Deploy funds to support impactful approaches to advance racial equity with community partners.
- Encourage associates to vote and provide voter registration/ballot applications in stores.
Deeply Listen and Report Progress
- Engage external stakeholders to seek perspective and co-create more just and equitable communities.
- Provide associates with platforms to continue sharing their stories and feedback with our leaders.
A Message from Rodney McMullen, The Kroger Co.’s Chairman & CEO
As America’s grocer, Kroger is driven to bring Americans together as an employer, grocery provider and community partner, representing Our Purpose to Feed the Human Spirit. Over the last several months, we’ve listened closely to our half a million associates and countless communities across the nation. It’s never been clearer that our collective energy is necessary to achieve true and lasting equality.
And while diversity and inclusion have been longstanding Kroger values, this year has certainly served as an awakening. As I shared in June, this has been a moment of clarity and reflection that has revealed the deeper work we must do.
We have taken a very thoughtful and purposeful approach to develop what we believe are the right actions to substantially and positively impact our culture and our country, creating real change now and into the future. We are approaching this effort with humility, knowing we can’t do it alone and don’t and won’t have all the answers. Our new Framework for Action: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion plan reflects our desire to redefine, deepen, and advance our commitment, mobilizing our people, passion, scale and resources.
Thank you for reading our new plan, developed in collaboration with our associates and leaders.
Standing together, we are better.